"You know how I'm obsessed with coordinating my outfits," NYC club legend and "most expensive body in the world" Amanda Lepore breathed into the phone, in advance of her Sat/14 appearance at Beaux in the Castro. "So I spend time getting ready for a night out. If I don't have a coat that matches I just grab one of my stoles -- and then run out real quick to get the cab!"
I had asked her how she stays so put together, out at all hours in the winter cold. (Lord knows the plastic fantastic chanteuse and fashion muse shouldn't stand too close to a heater.) But of course she's a champion, having been at the club kid forefront for two decades. Her influence on nightlife glamour -- and appetite for parties -- has been enormous, despite her petite frame.
"Marke, you know I've been so fortunate to have so many wonderful friends in nightlife. It always seems I have some place to be." That's especially true right now. Godmother of the '80s-'90s downtown NYC scene Susanne Batsch has come roaring back this year with several weekly parties, upping the profile of many established nightlife stars, including Amanda, who knows how to make a grand entrance and keep the party rollin'. (Amanda is always at her Sunday party Vandam and new Tuesday party at the Soho Grand.)
The last time Ms. Lepore graced our fair shore, she was shooting this piece of gorgeous with her amigo Cazwell, directed by Leo Herrera:
What can we expect this time around?
"A little singing, some holiday songs, cabaret-style -- I like to do 'Santa, Baby,' that kind of thing. My music is going to go more in a cabaret direction in the future, with dance remixes for the boys, of course."
And what else can we expect in the future? A little chilly activism:
"I'm off to Russia. I've been there before, and at first I was scared. It was very scary, and I was in Moscow, and I wanted to stay in my room. But MTV wanted me to do an interview in a Russian club, and it was really OK. I didn't feel afraid to be a transsexual on the streets of Russia. I think gay men may have it more difficult, and of course this was in the big city. But I feel it's important to go and be an out transsexual, for visibility."
Just don't freeze, please!
with DJ Jodie Harsh
9pm, $5, $10 meet and greet
2344 Market, SF.
Most Commented On
- YBuMFpGwxLKheZFEbEEC - April 24, 2014
- A global wealth tax is nothing like the advent of an income tax. - April 24, 2014
- Every huge ego has a tiny man behind it. - April 24, 2014
- I think it's a good thing - April 24, 2014
- The narcissism in this piece is nauseating - April 24, 2014
- One day we will live in a world where nobody is successful - April 24, 2014
- Conway was until he moved to - April 24, 2014
- She loves misery and is unelectable. - April 24, 2014
- Yes, Willie engineered an economic boom which gave us more - April 24, 2014
- iLCrCdhiFRgiSe - April 24, 2014